My research has been featured in a variety of media and practitioner outlets such as The Harvard Business Review, The Times (UK), the Telegraph, the Financial Times, The World Economic Forum, and many more...
Example Research Project: Algorithmic Management
· Publication in top IS journal: Möhlmann, M., Zalmanson, L., Henfridsson, O., Gregory, R. W. (2021), Algorithmic Management of Work on Online Labor Platforms: When Matching Meets Control, MIS Quarterly, 54(4), 1999-2022
Publication in top IS journal: Möhlmann, M., Salge, C, Marabelli, M. (2023): Algorithm Sensemaking: How Platform Workers Make Sense of Algorithmic Management, Journal of the Association of Information Systems (JAIS), 24(1), 35-64.
· Nomination for award: In January 2022, the MIS Quarterly nominated the paper for the prestigious "Responsible Research in Management" Award. The MIS Quarterly can only nominate one paper per annum.
· Bentley University Outstanding Scholarly Contribution Award Recipient 2022 (university-wide award).
· The paper is among the first in the IS discipline to address algorithmic management. Ever since, the topic has been the major focus at several events, such as the AOM PDW on "Algorithmic Management" in 2021, and the WI conference panel on "Algorithmic Management" in 2022, and the Academy of Management PDW "Digital Platform Economy" PDW in 2019 – Mareike presented at these events.
· Mareike presented at numerous conferences and seminars, including: TU Berlin 2022, LMU Munich 2022, Bentley University Research Showcase 2021, Weizenbaum Institute 2021, London School of Economics 2020, ICIS conference 2017, Intern. Workshop on the Sharing Economy Lund 2017.
Public interest, broad dissemination, and impact (beyond academia):
· The findings of this research were covered on the front page of The Times (UK print version) and in over 200 press and TV outlets, including PBS, USA Today, ABC, and CBS. Mareike has shared insights from this research in several podcasts (e.g., University of Sydney podcast in 2021).
· The authors have been invited to discuss their research with private and public sector organizations: Facebook (2021), the Public Policy Centre in Belgrade (2021), MKAI (2021), the UK Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (2019), and at large practitioner conferences in Europe (Re:publica).
· The research project motivated a stream of Harvard Business Review and MIT Sloan Management Review articles to help managers learn how to manage more ethically in algorithmically managed environments (MIT Sloan Management Review in 2023, HBR Special Issue Nov 2021, Harvard Business Manager 2021, HBR digital April 2021, HBR digital August 2019)
· In January 2022, Mareike presented at a United Nations Roundtable focusing on “Digital Nudging for Climate Change”. She was asked to provide written output for a UN report.
· The authors have been advised that two online labor platform organizations in Israel have used the article’s insights to inform the design of their algorithms for ride-hailing and delivery services, and that Israel drivers' labor unions have also met with drivers to discuss the implications for worker autonomy.